Tagged as 2015, goals, recreation
Written on 2015-02-21 15:18:00
Recreation and Balance
For years, I've been focused on production. Even my "relaxing" activities aside from
throwing dinner parties or going to concerts with friends have been productive in nature.
- Open Source
- Trying to Make Music
- Pseudo-Competitive Smash Brothers Melee
You get the idea. For the past 5 years or so, I've been terrible at doing things purely
for recreation and fun. I struggle not to think of it as "wasting time". I'm always anxious
about my technical abilities, my ability to find employment, my preparedness for the future.
Rationally, I know that's all pretty ridiculous but I struggle to unwind all the same.
Work life balance has for a while seemed a relic of a bygone era. But I want to turn that
around this year. Ironically, I've worked more 50 and 60+ hour weeks this year than any
previous one. It turns out becoming responsible for the education of 15 people in a 12-week
programming bootcamp is pretty demanding. That's why I'm listing these purely recreational
goals to try and commit myself to doing some things just for fun.
- The Causal Angel by Hannu Rajaniemi
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughan
- One of Idoru or Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
- One of Redemption Ark by Alistair Reynolds or The Player of Games by Iain Banks
- Prince of Persia journals
- One of Transmetropolitan / Y: The Last Man
- Retro/Kickstarted: Hyper Light Drifter
- New Adventure: One of Rime or Legend of Zelda Wii U
- Nostalgia: One of Ocarina of Time, Fez, or Pokemon Red/Blue
- Sci-fi: One of SW: KoToR or Mass Effect
- Fantasy: Final Fantasy III or Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IX or Earthlock
- Magic: Play more Magic the Gathering with James, spend money on cards. Be a kid.
- Watch at least 2 documentaries about creative passions: Cooking, Indie Games, etc
- Game Loading?
- Mind of a Chef?
- No Map for these Territories?
- One of Modulations / Hi-Tech Soul
- Take at least one trip to the beach for no less than 5 days.
- Take at least one trip to see: James, Burke, or Justin.